Baby formulas for milk allergy
Hydrolysate baby milk formulas were designed for infants with milk protein intolerance or allergy. The milk protein in these formula types is hydrolyzed, or broken into small pieces that are less prone to induce an allergy response. Some common examples are: Neocate ®, Alimentum ®, Nutramigen ®, and Pregestimil ®.
What are the potential advantages of baby milk hydrosylate formulas?
- Lactose free
- Carbohydrates are sucrose, tapioca, corn syrups and starches
- Milk protein (casein and whey) is broken down into amino acids and short peptides, which are less likely to cause an allergic response
- Contains a higher concentration of medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s), which are more easily absorbed
- Contain adequate nutritional value to be the sole nutritional source for infants with milk protein allergy
What are the possible disadvantages of hydrosylate formulas?
- Poor taste – sulfated amino acids
- More expensive
- High osmolality - may cause diarrhea
- Except for infants with milk protein allergy, there is no good evidence that hydrosylate formulas help treat colic, diarrhea, vomiting, or spitting up.
What are the symptoms of milk protein allergy?
- Blood in the stool
- Poor weight gain
- Skin rashes or hives
- Vomiting (sometimes)
Last Updated (Friday, 26 June 2009 02:29)